Campaign Kickoff from Pastor Henry Brinton
Sixteen years ago, I felt drawn to FPC because it was “a house of prayer for all peoples” (Isaiah 56:7). Today, I feel that this mission is more important than ever. But houses need maintenance, and our building requires work if we are going to remain a vital center for ministry and mission. I invite you to look to the future and join me in asking the question: “What kind of church do we want to be in the year 2020?”
You have already expressed your passion for:
– Worship with glorious music and powerful preaching.
– Christian community that includes the warm, reinforcing bonds of lasting friendship.
– Serving others through homeless hypothermia prevention and caring for the elderly.
– Our identity as “a house of prayer for all peoples” and our growing diversity.
– Christian formation and service opportunities for children, youths and adults.
– Opportunities for personal growth, questioning, and speaking the truth to power.
All of these meaningful activities require a well-equipped and well-maintained building in which to worship, fellowship, serve, learn and grow. To pursue these priorities in the year 2020 and beyond, we need a capital campaign to raise funds for the renovation and revitalization of our church building and grounds. Our financial goal: $2,000,000.
Our campaign is called “2020 Vision,” and it will accomplish the following when all donations are received and projects completed. And since we do not want to focus only on our own shelter, funds will also be raised to provide shelter for our needy neighbors:
1. Building for Mission. Cost: $1,800,000
– Invest in church property repairs, updates, modernizations, and increases in energy efficiency ($1,100,000).
– Make housing affordable for 10 to 12 families, adults with disabilities, or seniors who cannot afford available housing ($400,000).
– Retire debts, including our mortgage and our restricted fund liabilities ($300,000).
2. Expanding our Strengths. Cost: $100,000
– Undergird our music program by replacing worn-out music, purchasing tympani, and creating a fund for special music events.
– Expand opportunities for worship, meditation and spiritual growth.
3. Deepening our Connections. Cost: $100,000
– Develop a program of outreach to new families, couples, and individuals.
– Organize activities and events to promote connections between members.
– Develop opportunities for healing, comfort, and support in small groups.
– Expand our local and international connections, including mission work in Honduras.
Achieving this “2020 Vision” will require the commitment and generosity of every member of FPC. I look forward to working with you as we renovate and revitalize our church for the future, and as we continue our ministry and mission to the community and world.
With faith, hope and love,
Henry G. Brinton